New Plymouth

April 1962

Views in and around the city from a visit at Easter, April 1962. In 1962 the mountain was still called Mt Egmont, named by Captain Cook in 1770 after John Perceval, 2nd Earl of Egmont. The mountain was renamed to Mt Taranaki in 1986 to reflect the original Maori name although Mt Egmont is also correct. The surrounding district has always been Taranaki.

For the photographers looking at this, all were taken on Kodachrome slide film, with a Pentax SLR and subsequently scanned to digital.
© 2001-2021 Denis Wilford